Saturday 5 July 2014

My Experience through my project journey


I worked for one of the mobile app project. After completing the testing activities, the app gone for release. So, after the release I was eagerly waiting for the users’ feedback. Because I was asked to do a UX. On one way to approach the UX, I stated collecting all the feedback (rating) till date from the app store. Most of the people have given a 5 and 4 star ratings. But some people has shared 1, 2, 3 star ratings. This made me to think what went wrong. Why people has given such low ratings.  I believe that rating might help the team to trace out the problem to some extent. But it won’t help to solve the problems to great extend. Because those poor rating could also be given by the competitors itself. Anyhow, I collected all those poor rating to know what are the common problems among the people are. I grouped 1, 2, 3, poor rating into one; I saw 50 percentages of people have complained about the UI. Some people said, please rollback the older one. But by this, the decision cannot be made. Because there are people around 60 percentages (4 and 5 star), have said that the UI was good. So, UI is a common problem within the poor rating circle but not on the overall product level.
Now I started questioning myself .Okay. How to investigate these problems? These questions paid a way for some more questions. Still I am working for finding the answer for all those questions asked by myself.
One day, while I was learning about the design guidelines, suddenly a question sparked into my mind. Am I responsible for any kind of issues that happens over the product after the release? If people are not happy with the design, Should I need to be answerable for it?
I believe whether it is a product success/failure, an individual should not be claimed/Blamed for that. If it is a team then the entire team takes those responsibilities.  I started discussing this with my colleagues, before I take this to my teacher.  Over all I feel that as a tester it is important to learn about the product.
It made me to realize that tester needs to walk around all the phases of SDLC. Getting struck up at the testing phases will not help to a great extend. I realized what my teacher said about practicing by comparing with the sports people as an example.  Even a legend go for a practice before playing a real game, then as a tester what practices I should do to work for a project which goes to the real world and that might be used by a billions of people.
 But again it is tough for me to know how and when to start practicing. I will be taking this to my teacher and my lead to get clarity on this
In my organization if people ask me what’s your role I can easily give my answers to them. But, when it comes to a project, I am really confused to say my roles and responsibilities and the limitations. I learnt testers job in not about to share pass/Fail status. There are many things beyond that. Communicating with the people doesn't mean that we have walked out through the entire phase of SDLC. Working with individual teams (design, development, BA, etc) before the release and listening to the end users after the release and rework on it if needed is also a part of testers responsibility. So, I call a testers are connecting dots for the product. But it cannot be prolonged. There need a boundary line in case of claims and blames. When product fails people may raise their finger toward tester. When it succeeds in the market people may take the crown to their head. So, I want to know to what extend I can be blamed. When I say product failure it doesn't mean that some quality criteria have failed. It can be a user’s interest too. If people don’t show the interest on product scope, the product fails even it has met all the quality criteria. We can say this as requirement mismatch with people interest.
Now I am learning about the design so that I can have a better understanding about the product design what is needed for a client (product owner/ may not be needed for an end users. So, when working as a tester it is also important to understand the needs at both sides. But it is something tricky one.
There are so many heuristic that could help us to work on it. But what is needed for that context and choosing or identifying by your own matters a lot.  

My journey has just started. Hoping for the better one, not the safe one J






No comments:

Post a Comment