Wednesday 31 July 2013

A freshers approach on search of jobs

Few years/ month back I was in search of job. After completion of my graduation, I normally used to apply for many companies for many roles. I haven’t known which sort of jobs will suit me (my interest). Lots of struggle to get into IT concern. Later on I realized my faults, known my interest and worked on that. I settled in a job (my favorite).  And today I am in one concern working as a Software Tester and some other roles too.  In case of job search same situation is happening even now among the fresher’s. The problem what I have faced is almost same when I see some people who apply for the job in my concern. I have interviewed two kinds of candidates, people applying for testing job and who have no idea about choosing the job.
Most of the fresher who complete their graduation will gain the knowledge in some X technologies but haven’t developed their skills. I believe skills are what the industry expert from the candidate than having just knowledge alone. So, I suggest a fresher’s (College passed out) to develop their skills along with the knowledge.  
I see some people coming for an interview with no idea about the position they have applied for. I am the person who believes more on the interest than the knowledge they have. So, before checking their knowledge, I just look into their interest. On questioning about their interest, few says that yes I have an interest.But when I asked about the measurement they have taken for that, they say sorry I didn't do anything. Few say I got this interest last month before that my interest was different. So, for those people I just stop going further and give them time to know/ think about their interest and if they are clear with that I would ask them to apply again.
 When I have interviewed few people they just come with the blank idea saying that they want to work in a software job. But don’t know what they are really looking in the software job. Few thinks that software job is all about coding and testing .They don’t consider even web designing as a part of it. It is not the responsibility of an interview to educate about the varieties of jobs in the software company. It is the responsibility of the candidate. Sometimes it is the responsibility of her/his staff in college.  Teacher must be much dedicated and should help his/her student in choosing the career when they are helpless. Sometimes I feel it is the responsibility of the teacher to create awareness about the happenings in the IT industry.
Here is another case I was speaking with one person who appeared for an interview after completion of interview process .I made a formal chat with that person. He is interested in web designing but want to get into programming because his dad wants him to get into programming. But he is not interested in that. To those people he/she should convince his/her parents and let them know their child’s interest. Some parents/student believes that programming is the top level in the IT job and one could have a fastest growth and best salary if they are into programming.
Some people learn their engineering subject in just sake of clearing the semester exams and some will have good knowledge on particular subject’s .But as far as the industry concerns it is not enough.  I don’t blame all the students’ way of learning their subjects. Some will develop skills along with the knowledge. Kudos to those people.
Because of demand on job search few do some certification believing that it would help us in getting a job. There are some institutes who provide a service just for their business sake and there are some companies who don’t even consider the course certificate. So be aware of that. Course certification is like an eye/brain wash it will not always help you in fetching the job .Unless you realize your interest and develop your skills it is tough for you to get into the job.
Nowadays the degree certification has become a gate pass for applying for the job. With the help of such certificate alone without skills there is no use in having such degree certificate. No matter what the value that degree certificate holds or the grades you got.
So, learn engineering in such a way that you could develop the skills along with the knowledge.  Know/Develop your interest work on that. Reach your dream. Make it true and enjoy your life.

All the Best!!!

If I am wrong in my approach/ opinion, Please send me your feedback.  Feedback sometimes acts as a sign for “Caring”
                                                                              - Pradeep Lingan





No comments:

Post a Comment