Saturday 15 June 2013

My Interview Experience and the Lessons I Learned from it

I have never attended any kind of interviews during my college days. The reason was due to rare opportunities, eligibility and scaredness. I was too scared to attend the interview. But I know without interview no one is going to provide me a job. I was looking for the job without interview or  with less competition. I hate interviews. After completion of my graduation, no way I have to go for the job. To do so I need to attend a interview. The journey started. I had a very good experience in attending interviews after the college days. In my first interview I was asked to speak for few minutes about myself,  but I couldn't able to express the thing that sparked in my mind. I was frustrated. I know my mistakes. But I had no idea of changing myself. It continued. I failed many times. Slowly attending interview had became as a day today activity to me. I haven't realized that. But, one day when I attended an interview in one BPO,  I was asked to speak for the topic they given to me. No scared, no struggle, whatever comes to my mind, I expressed through word of mouth. I felt I was so bold than others. I realized the changes. I go for an interview purposely to make myself ready to face the people without any scared, shyness, hesitation.

I failed in most(may be 50+) of the interviews. I had no confidence in me. I did some course(java, Testing). But I didn't get through. I got job in one BPO and that was my first job. Bad experience from the lead. I learned how a lead should not be? I know, I am not for that job. I quit that job and started searching for the other. Decided to search for the software job. I was a fresher( A new baby to the IT industry). So, not much idea about IT jobs. I thought only the programming is the top best job in the IT company. So, looking for that. But I don't have much programming skills. Learned without practicing. I couldn't do well(get through) due to lack of confidence in my answer. But some how I got into testing. Felt relaxed because I got a job.So,  no more interviews still I quit the job(searching for the other).

Few days gone, Things went out well. I was bit relaxed and enjoying too. But a sudden change  like a hump in the  long straight road. I was fired. Now, again I need to take my CV and have to walk for the interview. But this time I was not worried about attending the interview. I was worried about the job (role, company, and the lead). I attended some companies not much. I realized how poor some of the hiring people are.  I had a very bad experience with one hiring manager. He called me inside got my CV. Never read what I have written in my CV. He took one pen and started scribbling at  last page of my CV. His questions are
1.Tell about your self as normally every one ask. I replied with smiling face
2.Then asked about my family background. I replied
3.Then what language you know. I said I practiced manual testing. I have not practiced any script. But it is not a great challenge to me. I could learn it when there is a need for that.

 He said, Do you think Manual testing has a scope in the future. How long you could be in manual testing. I don't know you will be a fit for the IT industry. I know some thing in testing.So,  improve yourself else it will be a  tough for you to be in the industry. He suggested me to go through the book written by his boss.
I replied I don't wish to work with the people like you. You have never gone through my CV and how you know about me(about my stuff).I thought you will ask about my project but you didn't do that. I don't want to spoil my career by working with you.  I am ready to take up any challenge.  Said Good Bye. You might think they are looking for automation tester. But the interview was for the manual testing.

Another experience was that I was interviewed by two person. For some question I don't know the answer.So, struggled. but those two people who are near to my age started laughing at me, started kidding by asking the questions. Very bad incident I experienced. But I wish to meet them again.

I see most of the people who interview others feels, that the candidate has less knowledge than him/her. When some question are asked and the answer given to him/her is not relevant, then its a wrong answer for them. I have the habit of giving my own definition for the concept I know. I don't prefer to give the answer written by others( not all). I just go through few peoples explanation on some topics but never try to by-heart those sentences. I answer what I know( from what I worked with). I know that there are "N" number of definition for the question what is testing? But all the answer could not be compromised by all.  I love to question them for the question which I never answered and do homework too.
The difference I see in my interview before and after the job.
Before getting into any job
1. I was scared
2. Trusted interviewers answers
3. Felt he/she knows everything that's why they are interviewing me
4. I felt they are the  great people during the time of interview.
5. Believed on every thing that are published in the blogs, book or in any websites.
After getting into job:
1. No scaredness
2. Know what to ask when needed
3. Know how to answer
4. Learned how to refer a book
5. Seeing them(interviewer) as a normal person ( a staff in that office).



No comments:

Post a Comment