Friday 14 June 2013

The value of Communication skills for a tester

When we speak about the skills we normally mention the tools that we are exposed to, the language we know and practiced. But most of us don't mention about the speaking and writing as a skill( especially in resume). Most of us mention such thing under the category language we know.

Did a communication matters a lot for being a software tester? 
It depends on the organization( Sorry, people in that organization). But to me, I would say "yes". We may be good in testing the product. But,  if we don't know how to communicate(right way of telling) the problems that are found in that product, then there arise a problem. The stuff of that person (not only the tester anybody in any domain) may not be exposed to others. You may be a king of king in testing(finding the defect) a product, when there is no proper communication between the people or if you don't know how to communicate with the team, you will be cornered. It is like having the Luxurious phone with no charge in the battery. Unless you charge your phone you can't do anything with that phone. So, know the importance of communication and also learn how to communicate with the people. 

Communication doesn't mean just speaking through word of mouth even your writing is a kind of communicating. How far writing skills help the tester to be a good tester. The same as you convey through word of mouth. You may be good in testing, but if your writing is not that good, where one can't understand what you are coming to say about it, the problems arises. It is some what easy to make others understand by communicating  through word of mouth either through phone or by facing directly. But, in case of communicating through your writings it is not that easy. A real stuff is needed for that. Lot of practice( home work) should be done to have a better writing skills. When you are writing to others one could able to understand what  you are about to say and that person who read should not assume by himself.  

A tester is responsible for making(preparing) the bug report. So, if the report that you prepare should be able to explain about the history of the bugs clearly. If the report is not that clear then even the critical bugs could be left out sometimes  and the people who have left such things are not responsible for not considering that bugs. it is you (tester) because of your writing. The story is not that clear.You have not conveyed it clearly. So, they have left it. 

How I witnessed this  as a problem?
I had worked with the people who have a good communication( Speaking and Writing). But, at that time I never realized this as one of the important skills. When I worked at my client office, I was doing the work what they want me to do apart from that. I was learning things quickly( because I am  so passionate about it). But one day I was fired from that office. Surprised, confused, Shocked, really don't know what else to write..Smile..  I was in such situation after hearing this word "Today will be your last working day" .

I did my work and had done better. But how and what went wrong.? I questioned my self. I believe every problem has some solution. Then I realized that I had not communicated properly. I had tested the product and reported the problem through mail.But, I didn't communicated (apart from mail) well. Even in my mail that I have send,  I didn't explained my issues(story clearly). This made a gap between me and my manager. Then I decided I should not repeat the same mistake in the next company. May be with some new mistakes,  But not intentionally. Because I love mistakes as I believe I could learn more from it. Mistake is not a big problem, unless you fail to learn from it by repeating the same . 

This blogging is a kind of home work I do to improve my self and also conducting the meeting with my team often in my office is  to get rid of my  shyness and scaredness while facing the crowd. I believe I will be one of the best writer and speaker in the future.                                                                                   

My Contact Details:
Email: ktg.pardeep@gmail.com
Phone: 07639959901
Skype: pradeep.lingan


No comments:

Post a Comment